Lucca Bastions

Lucca and its Fortress




Lucca is a small town, yes, but as dense in history, art , and tasteful spots for anyone to enjoy as Florence might be.
I found myself there by mistake, as I usually do when going about travelling, and did not regret a thing. Among the many things I saw and experienced (I met a good friend of mine that day) I just want to tell you about the Fortress in Lucca.

I really do not know much about the history behind this massive structure, I just loved its green elevated gardens with trees and well kept grass. The weather was gorgeous outside, and I could gaze at the olive groves that surround Lucca, and the Tuscan hills around the city. I lay down on the grass listening to the sound of insects and birds, then decided to take alook over the wall and look over the city. To my surprise, where I thought would be just grass, I saw a pretty city with red roofs and cars passing by. Tha amazing thing, though, was that no sound, until then, had reached my ear. The wall sort of had defended me from the "attacks" of city life! Well, Lucca really hasn't any traffic jams or chaotic roads, but the peace of this fortress is admirable.

Lucca is a little left out of the Tuscan itineraries, but please try to keep it in mind when planning a trip to Tuscany. Here you will your special treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment