Bread for all tastes in Traditional Tuscany

Tradition and taste

in Tuscan Bread





When I got to Tuscany I had heard about the Tuscan Bread a lot, and I had also tried it sometimes in some Italian Restaurant where I live, but it didn't compare to the description that my friends had given me about Tuscan bread as it's made in Tuscany.
So, my trip to Tuscany started out (after having settled in a beautiful villa near Siena)in a nice restaurant in Siena, at Trattoria da Divo. The dishes were gorgeous, but the thing I wanted to try was the oven baked Tuscan bread: it was DELICIOUS!!

The owner of the restaurant is a very easy-going lady that happens to know a lot about Tuscan bread. She told a little about the ancient origins of the Tuscan bread. It seems like it started from the baking of acorn flour, and eventually developed to the modern state (made of wheat and other cereal flours) around the year 1100. The peculiarity of Tuscan bread is that is the only Italian bread made without salt. In my opinion Tuscan bread is good that way, as Tuscan food is so tasty itself.



I wanted the recipe to make Tuscan bread at home in my brick oven and impress my friends, but I could not find anyone able to tell me the exact recipe. It seems like Tuscan bread, "the good one", comes from oral traditions and will stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment