Massa Marittima Tuscan Hidden Jewel

Massa Marittima! Unique Town to Visit.





Sure enough Massa Marittima is out of the big touristic spots. Nothing against the latters, but Massa Marittima really deserves a lot more, seriously. I have been in Massa Marittima just by chance, while I was going to Follonica by the sea in Tuscany. I was following the old panoramic road (a must do, slow motion!!), when I had the feeling I was getting lost and saw this group of houses on the top of a very high hill, and decided to ask for directions there. Massa Marittima presents itself as the typical Tuscan village, from a distance. On the top of the hill, with a church at the very top of it all. Red, it was with its bricks and tile roofs. But at a closer look the stone walls, low arches, raised gardens and cobblestone streets, make it seem like a little sea port on the top of a hill.



When I got there I met a recurring medieval celebration in the main piazza where the Duomo cathedral is. It is a Cross Bow competition in Medieval costumes. The parade was lovely, very truthful to its original. The marvellous setting also helped feel the true Medieval atmosphere.



The people in Massa Marittima were lovely to me, and tried explaining what was going on, although my Italian is not so good, and their English was a little faltering. I had a good time and ended up having a delicious lunch in a typical Tuscan trattoria. Sadly I cannot remember the name of it, but I found out a portal on Massa Marittima that has all you need to visit end enjoy this wonderful town during the best time of the year. The website is www.massamarittima.info the portal about Maremma and tourism in Massa Marittima.
I found out this site to be very useful to gather all the info I needed before returning to Italy and pick the best time when I needed to be in Massa Marittima.
Massa Marittima deserves to be discovered, and it's well worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment