Enjoy the wine in the country of Tuscany: Montalcino tour and wine


Born in Chicago, USA, in 1966, my family brought me to Florence when I was four years old, and that is where I grew up.
My passion for wine started when I was 19, studying at the University, and working part-time in the p.r. office of the Consorzio del Vino Chianti Classico Gallo Nero.
After a couple of months, I decided to leave my studies and dedicate myself completely to this, my first real job.
When I had a chance, I would go in the laboratory, where the inspectors tasted wines that had to be approved before giving them the pink DOCG label, and I would take this opportunity to taste as well.
I will never forget the day when I realized that a wine I really liked had a very high score on a magazine. A voice inside of me said: "hey, maybe I do understand something…"
I'm not really sure, though, when and how I fell in love with wine. It was very gradual. The first time I felt this way, it happened by chance. I didn't decide anything. Then, slowly I realized that I never wanted to leave the wine world; I can still feel that part of myself growing. I'll never forget when I met one very famous French wine producer: I had to take him to visit a vineyard, but it had unfortunately started to rain while I was on my way to pick him up. I apologized to him, saying, "too bad it's raining." He answered, "perfect; then I can see the drainage." Touchè.

It was also very lucky that I was even accepted in the wine world at that time. It was not easy twenty years ago in a totally male dominated industry, in a country like Italy! Even though I was the youngest in the office, after a year and a half, I found that I had outgrown the working atmosphere I had so loved. It felt claustrophobic: I needed to be more outside, and I wanted to learn more…I wanted to be working on a farm.

At the age of 21, I left a "sure" job for a 3 month position in an estate in Montalcino at Altesino Winery, where I met my husband. The 3 months ended up becoming 2 years! Then came along our 3 children, but that is another story.
At Altesino I was taking care of the wine tastings and of the many visitors.

After Altesino, and a couple of children, I went to work in another estate, Costanti, owned by a dear friend of Claudio and I. I worked there for about 6 years, it was a perfect job since it was part time but rich in responsibilities.

Eventually I left Costanti, because I started to give wine tours, working for a friend who has a very good agency, and I needed to have more flexibility in my schedule.
Taking people on wine tours has a very specific meaning for me: every time something must be different. It is like traveling, sharing my passion, transmitting what this land has to offer, and meeting people ensuring that there is always something interesting for me to learn as well.
All of this goes above and beyond the fact that, while working in the industry, I had the opportunity to taste the majority of the wines produced in this area and to get to know the owners of the wineries themselves.
In a way, visitors that come here are already a "selective bunch" (please excuse the pun!): he who enjoys wine, usually enjoys food, and for sure enjoys life! For this reason I feel very lucky, since I always take away from my clients a healthy dose of enthusiasm.
Since 2004 I take care of the clients at Borgo Finocchieto (www.borgofinocchieto.com) for all of their wine tour needs and began a new adventure last year: it is now also my responsibility to select the wines for the Borgo's growing cellar. A wonderful job.

My husband and I decided that our lives were not busy enough, so we went ahead and planted a vineyard here at home. For a couple of years now I produce my own wine, Martin del Nero, as well as extra virgin olive oil, and in 2007 I was asked to be consigliera for the Consortium of Doc Orcia producers. These things bring me great joy, and it seems that I have finally come full circle to where I feel I naturally belong.
Bottles, glasses, now roots and leaves. Scents, shades. So many wines to taste, all of them so different. Which wood to use, for how long. Decisions. As a producer I now have a new personality to deal with every year, different characteristics, different needs, new challenges. Just the way I like it.

Anna Lisa Tempestini

You can contact Anna Lisa at her email: annalisa@fattoriaresta.it

No comments:

Post a Comment